2014 – January 7 – Wingy

Albert Einstein

On the seventh day, Wingy by Andrew Stancek

I fly.

God may have rested on the seventh day, but Andrew Stancek certainly has not.  With this simple paragraph, he launches a bold challenge to suspend disbelief, let go of narrative expectation, and embrace what appears to be an epistolary science fiction tale.  Meet Adam Zajac, an ordinary man dedicated to learning one extraordinary skill. The entire chapter is character background, really, barely a hint of plot.

And yet it works very well.

Maybe no one will ever read this. I’m not writing for a learned journal or for the popular press, only for me… If you know the story, move on, skip a part or two. But I just may surprise you. Even if you think you know, something may startle. Hold onto your seats and enjoy the ride.

How’s that for chutzpah? I won’t be skipping any parts, not after an opening as strong as this one. What do you think of this technique?

About Stephen

I live in beautiful New Castle, Pennsylvania with fellow writer, Susan Urbanek Linville, and a herd of reformed feral cats.

Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to 2014 – January 7 – Wingy

1. susan tepper says:

This is a very exciting, whimsical, grounded, flighty, and all-opposites type of story. A great unreliable narrator in Wingy. Cannot imagine what will come next!

2. Guilie says:

I loved Wingy. It wasn’t until the next-to-last paragraph that I went, “Hey. Wait. There’s nothing happening in the now here.” But I didn’t care. Suspension of disbelief is inevitable; the author plays it perfectly. I won’t be missing any of this either!

• Yes, isn’t it amazing that he could pull us so firmly into this character’s world without a real story. That promise of story to come is crucial, though, I think. He has set a high bar for himself, but I have no doubt he will exceed that standard. He’s Andrew Stancek.

3. Andrew Stancek says:

Stephen, thanks for the vote of confidence and high praise. I laughed but I am also trembling a bit now. Can I pull this off? Can I? I AM still working on the opus, nowhere near complete. I may have to surprise myself. Or Adam Zajac will come through. After all he learned how to fly. Susan, always, my love goes out to you. Thanks for your constant support. Guilie, thanks. I am hugely enjoying the beginning of your tale. So wonderful to meet you.

• Stephen says:

You and me both, Andrew. I just turned in my June story, and it seems like every chapter takes me off in a slightly different direction. I have faith in us. Something interesting will come through.

4. Mandy says:

I am intrigued. Another mad ride in the offing. Good stuff.

5. susan tepper says:

THEME SONG for Wingy: ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’

6. Michael says:

Wow. What a brilliant start. Love it!

7. Marvellous. Classic Stancek. I love the movement in this — the darkness, the fear and the longing, the mystery. I liked the ending line “I may just surprise you.” I actually thought that as the last line, as it’s at the bottom of the page. When I turned and read one more line, that was good too. But this one could have closed it, for me. It sets up all the tension here. Moving forward… I am both excited and a little afraid…